Monday, November 8, 2010

Our typical evenings

This is more of documentation, a way for me to know that one day we will look back on this time and laugh.

Some common phrases that you will hear at our house in the evenings are; just hold her for a second while I pee. Oh crap, hurry get me something, she just spit up all over the place. I’ll hold her; you just eat while it’s hot.

From the time I get home with the kids (3:30) till about 5:00 Katie is one happy baby. She nurses, plays, talks, rolls over, laughs and will entertain her self, no problem.
Then the crying begins.
We bounce, we sway, we walk, we sing, we pat, we put her down ( thinking she is just sick of us), we try to nurse, we try a bottle, we offer her a pacifier, we change her diaper, we swaddle, we wear her/walk around. All during the hours of 5pm-9ish. We tag team. One of us does all the above while the other cooks dinner. (Well, Kris doesn’t nurse her) We take turns eating. Around 9:00 Korbin goes to bed, Katie settles a little. I start working on the kitchen, cleaning, washing bottles and run and take a shower. Katie will either shower with me, or we give her a bath. She LOVES bath/shower time. By 10:00 we are ready for bed, some nights she will stay asleep, others I will nurse her back to sleep. She sleeps in a bassinet/play pen next to our bed. At 12:30 she nurses again, and back to sleep. 2:30 up again, and then she sleeps for a good 3 hours. After 5:30 she either sleeps till 8am or is just fussy the whole time, sleeping on and off, nursing or just laying awake.

We do have periods of time during all this when she is fine for a few minutes. She will be crying and then just stop and laugh. She will doze off in our arms/up on our shoulder for a while. We struggle with not knowing if she is hungry. Sometimes she will nurse and spit it all up, then cry. Not wanting to nurse again, but refuses the bottle. Sometimes she will cry and act hungry but won’t nurse or take the bottle. She was taking a pacifier pretty well, but seems to have no interest in that now. If we are holding her, and put her down for a second on the couch/play mat she usually gets very mad. They say babies this young can’t be spoiled, so it must be something?

Like I said, I know this will pass. I want to read this in a few months and say “Aww, remember those evenings!”

Not to get to mushy, but Kris has been a savior. He is so calm with her, takes her when ever needed. Always lets me eat dinner 1st. I'm such a lucky girl to have my husband love me when I’m shoveling food in my mouth like a speed eater, with wet and dried spit up all over my shirt and pants. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading this, I just want to say we know we are doing everything we can for her. We know babies sometimes just cry. We know she is not sick, and are so thankful for that. And after ever night, we are so unbelievably happy. It's not that bad. Like I said in the opening, this is just a documentation. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment