Monday, January 30, 2012

My Birth Story

I had my regular weekly doctor appointment; past few times I had to do a 30 minute NST ( Non Stress Test) because Kallie's heartbeat was very fast. After each test, she was fine...no worries. I was 39 weeks and was trying to go into labor by myself. Not being induced this time. I had made up my mind that I wanted to go natural, and getting the Pitocen makes the contractions 100 million times worse, and I was afraid I would give in and get the Epi. . Due to the pain, not being able to walk, scheduling, and the weekly NST's Dr. B suggested we induce. Deep breath...Ok...
I was 1.5 cm dilated and 100% effaced. So they had to put in a catheter to open the cervix, that goes in over night while I stay in the hospital. In the morning they start the Pitocen. 


At the hospital, about 9pm, I went into labor. On my own! :)  Started having contractions about every 5 min, not very painful. At 10:30 the catheter fell out ( not supposed to happen, but my body was already in labor. HAPPY!) I was 3 cm. 


Through out the night, the contractions stopped. :( So we just caught up on some sleep. Knowing that Dr. B would be there at 6am to start my Pitocen.


Got the Pitocen, ...fast forward till 10am, I was only at 4cm and that is where the 'problems' began. Dr. B tried to break my water but was unsuccessful.  My cervix was up very high, and Kallie's head was coming down anyway. The nurses and Dr. B were having a hard time even finding the cervix, and they couldn't tell how far dilated I was. The contractions were coming right on top of each other and were super painful. A few hours later, the nurse checked again and found out the bag of water was coming out, but not breaking, Kallie's head was extremely low but the cervix was still up high. She guessed I was at about 7cm. At this point the contractions were unbelievable, but the PRESSURE was insane. The nurse broke the bag of water and warned me that it was about to get bad. Dr. said this is the point of no return on getting the Epi.  Kris was a huge help in getting me through this with out the Epi, however I had to have something... I ended up getting 1/2 a dose of pain meds through the IV. Did NOTHING for the pain, but did relax me a little. At 2:00 my nurse came in again, saying the contractions were so strong, and back to back, she turned off the pitocen and checked me again. Pretty much the same thing, but this time she physically pulled my cervix down over Kallie's head. The word pain does nothing for describing what that felt like. I thought she killed me...and that was nothing compared to what was to come. The next hour it was an out of body experience. My body went into over drive to get Kallie out. With each contraction my body would push even with me trying my hardest to stop it. I thought I wasn't breathing due to the pain. Literally could not feel myself breathing through the contractions and pressure.  I kept begging for oxygen, but the nurses said I was getting enough. It was the scariest moment in my life. I could do nothing to keep my body from pushing, and the pain....well, there are no words. Since it all happened so fast after the nurse pulled the cervix down, the ripping unforgettable pain of Kallie slamming her way down the birth canal; I can not even begin to describe the pressure and burning pain. After finally listening to me that the baby was coming OUT ( in fact, I said " I'm about to have this baby right now) my nurse looked, shock and fear on her face, and ran to grab some gloves. Just then Dr. B came running in, gloved up and with 2 of the most incredibly intense painful pushes Kallie Ann was born at 2:55pm. 


Weighing 7 pounds 11 ounces, 20 inches long. Katie weighed the exact same, but was an inch taller. :) 


The cord was wrapped around her neck and I had very high levels of amniotic fluid. After Dr. B fixed me up, and they were done weighing Kallie I got to nurse. Amazingly Kallie knew just what to do. Moments after birth I was nursing! So awesome. Even with that pain, that fear, I wish I would have not had an Epi with my other two. 40 minutes after birth I was up walking around. Absolutely no pain what so ever. It was like the last 8 hours didn't even happen. I was feeling great and had a baby to love on. And that is that. It was an incredible experience. Kris was amazing, helping me through each contraction and keeping me as calm as he could. He even kept calm and didn't scare any nurses! Bonus. It really brought us closer together and I am thankful that I was finally able to have my as-natural-as-possible birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment